Sep 20, 2019
Backcountry Gear Challenge: fit 10 days worth of gear into 55 pounds
Top-of-the-list item: Tag/Hunting license!
• Sleep systems: Sleeping bag, pad, & tent
• Backpacks: Types and recommendations
• Raingear: Jackets & pants, pack covers, drybags for camera & electronics
• Clothing & footwear: From skin to shell. Underwear, base layer, pants, shirts, the annoyance of layering, puffy coats & pants, neck gaiters and warm hats, appropriate boots, Crocs and manliness, crampons, and more.
• Cooking systems: backpacking stoves, fire starters, water filters, water containers, and the critical Life Straw
• Optics: Rangefinding binoculars, Badlands bino harnesses, spotting scopes,
• Communication: inReach Mini, Midland handheld radios, lithium batteries, solar chargers, battery reservoirs, smartphone headphones, headlamps, and compasses.
• Camera: Smart phone vs. compact lightweight DSLR, plus Phone Skope
• Tripod favorites: Outdoorsman Medium and Spartan Precision Sentinel
• Rifle, Ammo, & Accessories: sling, Galco ammo carrier, Spartan bipod, Otis cleaning cable, electrical tape (yellow!), ballistic chart, wind checker, and handgun if applicable
• Knives & Accessories: Leatherman Tool, fixed-blade hunting knife by Browning, Arno Bernard, or Siembida Custom Knives; Outdoor Edge or Havalon, compact EZE-Lapp diamond stone, Outdoor Edge folding saw, Gransfors Bruks Hunter's Axe, Kuiu or Caribou Gear game bags, contractor-grade garbage bags
• Health & Hygiene: compact deodorant, hand soap, toothbrush & paste, floss, Airborne tablets, Zip Fizz, MTN OPS, Ibuprophen, Mucinex D, NyQuil, Blister kit, sunscreen, chapstick, vaseline, sunglasses, wipes, bug spray, bug net, knee braces, TETRA ear pro, notebook
• Food: Mountain House and other freeze-dried brands, snacks, gum, hard candy, energy supplements, Montreal Stake Seasoning, coffee or tea